Monday, April 1, 2013

How the Best Was Won

It has been an incredible Easter season! God has been doing amazing things in our midst at my church, Bayside Church in Granite Bay, California. With already ten services from Good Friday to Easter Sunday in our Granite Bay celebration center, we have video venues also on the Granite Bay campus, Folsom, Lincoln and midtown Sacramento. We even launched a new "North Campus" on Easter Sunday. I heard all of these services were packed with people attending. I attended the new church launch at the North Campus venue at Whitney High School in Rocklin, California. Initially, the gymnasium was set up with 350 seats. The estimated number of people that actually showed up were over 1300! We had to shuffle seats around and have seats outside the gymnasium door for people to hear! A good problem for a church.

But besides the incredible number of people responding to attending an Easter service, the local news did news pieces with our pastor, Ray Johnston on Good Day Sacramento and Fox 40. On the Bayside Facebook page, there was a pastor with "Pastor" in his Facebook name making accusations about our church. It's not that he has ever been to our church, but his post says "Watching news wow sounds like its all about you guys not Jesus beginning to think you called the news up to do this story" (his actual words, no punctuations, either).

Now, I was busy with already serving at church, so I didn't see the news segment, so I really can't agree or disagree with his viewpoint. But let's think about this for a moment. A "Pastor" watching the television on Easter, one of the busiest days on the Christian calendar. And we know he's a pastor because his Facebook name says so. It's like me with the name Tech Garret or Videoguy Garret. I have many friends who are pastors, but they don't include their title with their name (except one). His grammar is poor, aside of his lack of punctuation, so what kind of "Pastoral" education has this guy accomplished? 

So in my assessment, I see a problem of spiritual pride. I've seen this before. And it was with a friend who was an Associate Pastor in one of my previous churches. He built up his position with high morals, and in turn (I think) power went to his head. He became "Holier than Thou", sometimes even being condescending.

Isn't that is what this guy on Facebook is doing? He is making these accusations because he's jealous. Probably his church is small (most are. And especially in Turlock, where he's located) and they try to discredit mega churches. All mega churches go through this criticism, however because I have been to some of these "mega churches", the criticisms are often inaccurate because the accuser usually does not have firsthand knowledge of the real facts. If they actually listened to the heart of all of our pastors, not just the lead pastor, they would better understand the leadership, direction and vision of the church. If they could experience firsthand the atmosphere of compassion and love, then they could see the Love of God.

Well, another thing transpired at church this weekend. One of my video guys was upset with the new leadership of the tech team. He made his objections known vocally. And in turn, was asked to leave and take a sabbatical. This left a vacancy in the operations for providing adequate camera positions for our Easter services. Apparently, his self-centeredness and pride got in the way of being a servant in the video ministry. 

Some positions are more fun and creative. I understand that. I was once in the control room switching and directing video presentation. But with the paid staff of Bayside, they made decisions for the team leads to direct and switch on the weekend services. I was not happy with that, but then I just did the best I could wherever I was placed. I am able to perform all tasks for all the camera positions as well as having the experience of directing and switching. Being a director, I know what kind of camera angles and shots are wanted.

But for even the resurrection of Christ to happen (the reason we celebrate this season), Jesus had to humble Himself. Jesus knew what He had to do. But in His humanness, He didn't want to go through all of the pain and suffering. Jesus had to submit to His Heavenly Father. Humility was the course He had to take to go through the flogging (the 40 lashes, as they said in the Bible Miniseries), the mocking, the bearing of the cross, the bleeding, the suffering.



But once He was obedient to bear the cross and all its shame, Jesus rose victorious over sin and death! Jesus gave His all. Jesus gave His best. We are blessed by Jesus giving His best. 

And that is how we can overcome our struggles, our pain, our trials and tribulations. We have to submit to humility. We have to dethrone ourselves from the throne of our lives. We need to put Jesus at the Center of our lives, on that Throne of our lives. Once we do that, then we won't be as critical, unloving, selfish and unforgiving. We need to trust in the One who gave His life for all of us.

Have you ever trusted in the love of Jesus? All you need to do is say a simple prayer: "Dear Jesus, please forgive me for I am sinful and selfish. God, I need you to change my life and my attitude not only towards You, but others in authority over me. I need Your Holy Love to cover me. Thank You Jesus. Come into my heart and be my Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, Amen!"

If you prayed that prayer for the first time, welcome to the Family of God! You have been forgiven and restored like new. Find a good Bible believing and teaching church so you can grow in your faith and walk with Jesus. The church should be a refuge where you can be comfortable to share your struggles of life without judgment or condemnation. I pray that you may find that church.

Blessings,
Garret

No comments:

Post a Comment